Fun Florida destinations
(exerpts from Sun Passages, published by Sun Pass)
From exciting theme parks and attractions to festivals, cultural events, museums and fun activities
for the whole family, summer in Florida can be ... exciting ... When scheduling your family's
vacation, consider the following suggestions...
Of course, you'll want to enjoy the beautiful beaches along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts...as well as fishing, sailing, snorkeling, camping, biking, hiking and more with your family. Be sure to pack your sunscreen and insect repellent...
- Viernes Culturales (Cultural Fridays) - Enyoy the rythm, sounds and
sights of Little Havana at this open-air cultural event held the last Friday night of each month on
Calle Ocho featuring the music, dance, poetry, visual arts, food and heritage of Cuban Americans.
For more information, call (305)644-9555 or visit
www.viernesculturales.com, located on 8th Street in Miami between 14th and 17th Avenues.
- Billie Swamp Safari and Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum - Learn about the history and culture of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, go for an exhilarating airboat ride, experience an eco-tour in a swamp buggy and you may even come face to face with one of the locals (alligators!) on the Billie Swamp Safari. For more information, call (00)949-6101. While you're on the Seminole Reservation, be sure to check out the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum with rare artifacts, dramatic films, nature trails and an authentic Native American village. For more information, call (863) 902-1113. located on the Big Cypress Reservation west of Fort Lauderdale off Alligator Alley (I-75).
- Lion Country Safari - A safari of a different kind; experience two greaqt parks for one price with an exciting drive-through zoo featurnig 1,000 animals roaming free, as well as an animal theater, boat tour, paddle boats, mini-golf, picnic areas and KOA Campground. For more information, call (561) 793-1084. located west of Florida's Turnpike on Southern Boulevard in Loxahatchee (west of West Palm Beach).
- Orlando's family attractions - Where else can you visit seven theme parks, four water parks and more than 80 other attractions all just moments away from Florida's Turnpike? Walt Disney World Resort's four theme parks are always conjuring up some special magic for the whole family. Check out the newest rides and attractions at Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure. See Shamu and his marine animal friends for some good clean fun at SeaWorld Orlands. Call the official Travel Counselors from the Orlando/Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau for more information at (800) 643-9492. Be sure to ask about Florida resident discounts! For all parks, exit Florida's Turnpike at I-4.
- Tampa's family attractions - Give an elephant a shower and ride the thrilling roller coaster at beautiful Busch Gardens, located at 3605 E. Bougainvillea Avenue in the Tampa Bay area include the Lowry Park Zoo, The Florida Aquarium, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Salvador Bali Museum.